Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Book Review: Artemis by Andy Weir

In the follow up to Andy Weir's debut novel, Artemis tells the story of Jazz, a young and broke smuggler living on Artemis, a fully functioning town on the moon. When she is given the chance at a huge job she cannot refuse, she'll have to put the small time smuggling on hold to become a full time criminal mastermind. 

I was a big fan of The Martian when it first hit the stands (I mean did you see that beautiful orange cover?), and I've recently been getting more and more into science fiction and stories set in space. So when I heard Andy Weir was writing a second novel with a female lead that was also set in space, I was instantly on board. I had been in a reading slump for a while, but I had been wanting to pick this book up for a while as well. On Christmas Eve, I decided to put down my last book and start this one. I wasn't reading science fiction at the time so it was refreshing to jump into this story. 


I really liked Jazz as a character. She is an unapologetic little shit that only had her best interest in mind about 95% of the time, but there were still moments when you could see her nice side come through. You can tell that her relationship with her dad is one that she holds near and dear to her heart. As the story continues, you start to realize that even through all the craziness that has happened in the story, helping/making things right with her dad is one of, if not her main priority. I'm also always really fascinated with characters who aren't necessarily meant to be super likable, but somehow win us over with their intelligence, wit, strength, etc, which is exactly what Jazz did for me. I also have to say that this girl went from zero to hero within the span of 100 or so pages. That was the one thing I couldn't wrap my head around, but other than that I was very pleased with the book.


I will say that it wasn't as funny as The Martian, and didn't start with the line "I'm pretty much fucked," but it was a fun book that still had the Andy Weir wit we all know and love. 


Sheri 
x

No comments:

Post a Comment