Friday, August 10, 2018

Book Review: Call Me by Your Name

Title: Call Me by Your Name
Author: André Aciman
Genre: Fiction
Publisher: Macmillan
Publication year: 2007
Format: Paperback
Page Count: 256

Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Summary: The romance that unfolds between a young boy and his father's apprentice during a summer in Italy. 

To say André Aciman's writing is beautiful is an understatement. The main reason I wanted to read this book was because of the amazing movie that came out in 2017. Call Me By Your Name was my pick for Best Picture of that year, and my favorite movie of the year. The movie ruined me emotionally and the introduction of Timothée Chalamet was pure magic. With that said, I've been trying to do a better job at separating books from their film adaptations. In this case I think Luca's film is a great adaptation of Aciman's work. 

Luca's film really captures the same romantic Italian feel as the book and has direct quotes from Aciman's beautifully written word. I will say, I wasn't as emotionally invested in the book as I thought I would be and the one thing that really threw me off was how much inner dialogue we get from Elio in the book. At times, Elio kind of annoyed me as he became quite obsessive during some parts. At the same time, I do think the obsessive inner dialogue helps the reader understand the inner turmoil this young boy is going through while trying to figure out his sexuality and the attraction he has to Oliver. It's all beautifully written and feels very authentic. I found myself underlining numerous quotes throughout the book.


I would 100% recommend this book. You'll fall in love with Aciman's writing. After you finish the book, watch the movie and fall in love all over again.

Sheri 





No comments:

Post a Comment