Thursday, August 9, 2018

Book Review: The Disasters by M.K. England

Title: The Disasters
Author: M.K. England
Genre: Science Fiction
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication date: December 18, 2018
Format: Paperback
Page Count: 368

Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️

SynopsisA band of misfits who have flunked out of their Space Academy get wrapped up in a shady conspiracy and must in turn save the world from being destroyed. 


I was lucky enough to be given a copy of this by Kid Lit Exchange. All opinions are my own.



I really wanted to love this book. I usually pick books based on their cover and this is one of the best covers I've seen in a while. I didn't know much about the premise of the book, but I knew it dealt with space and I'm always 100% on board when any story has to do with space/space travel. This book reminded me a lot of The Breakfast Club & Guardians of the Galaxy (A group of misfits who need to save the universe).



Likes: I thought some of the action scenes were really well done and I loved the inclusion of racially & sexually diverse characters.



Dislikes: Even though there was a mix of characters, there was not a lot of character development. Everything felt very "on the surface," and we didn't ever really get a deep dive or understanding  of this diverse cast.



Lastly, the ending was very anti-climactic. It was kind of like oh and everyone is just saved now, okay.



I really felt like this was a starter book with not a lot of character development and started to lose me a bit at the end. The book was fun, but not great.



Sheri



x

No comments:

Post a Comment